The list of American cities with the highest number of vehicle thefts may surprise you. According to the National Insurance Crime Bureau (NICB) in an article for PropertyCasualty360, the 2019 “Hot Spots” report states the total amount of auto thefts have decreased across the country, however Metropolitan Statistical Areas (MSA) with smaller populations can have a higher theft rate. In addition to affecting individual households, vehicle theft is one of the main risk exposures for auto dealerships nationwide.
Having the right loss control measures in place to secure vehicles stored on automotive dealership lots can go a long way in helping to minimize risk and vulnerability to theft.
Proactive Loss Control Basics:
- Ensure all vehicles on the lot are locked and all keys, key fobs, and dealer plates are stored in a secure location
- Operate computerized key machines for key controls
- Safeguard vehicle registration documents in a secure location, outside of the vehicles
- Never leave an unlocked car running while unattended, even for a moment
- When authorized employees take keys, hold them accountable by requiring the completion of a key control log documenting who took the key, when it was taken, and monitor time limits for when keys need to be returned
- Brightly illuminate dealership lots and buildings at night
- Install motion sensor cameras in several prominent locations on the lot with video surveillance technology and monitoring operations
- If possible, store and lock the most expensive vehicles inside of a building
- Utilize gates or vehicle blockers at entrances and exits, as well as a fence around the lot perimeter to provide an extra layer of protection
- Make copies of driver licenses before test drives
- Consider having customers sign a Demo Agreement when test driving a car or a Borrowed Vehicle Agreement if they are contemplating a purchase
- Provide proper employee training around safety and security procedures
- Keep all vehicle software and dealership networks updated and secure
Implementing proactive loss control measures can help reduce an auto dealership’s exposure to theft and help to keep insurance costs to a minimum. All Risks offers an exclusive, non-admitted Dealers Open Lot insurance program for retail insurance agents with auto dealership clients. This program features an AM Best “A+” XV carrier with nationwide access, excluding AR, KS and OK.
All Risks' Dealer Open Lot Program Highlights:
- Multi-state capabilities with no audits and no monthly reporting
- Broad coverage forms
- Direct and Agency bill options with installments
- Physical Damage minimum premium – $5,000
Driven by deep underwriter knowledge and experience, All Risks’ Dealers Open Lot insurance program offers top-notch service and broad coverage forms including false pretense coverage for wholesalers. Depending on the territory, a weather aggregate may also be available. Target classes include franchised (new) auto, motorcycle, and heavy truck dealers, large non-franchised dealers, ATV dealers, RV dealers, and more.
With over 50 years combined industry experience, let All Risks offer a competitive Auto Dealer Open Lot insurance program for your new auto dealership clients to secure facilities, inventory, keys and other assets. Retail insurance agents can contact Program Manager Kevin Gast to learn more at 800-366-5810 x3047 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The description of this program is only a summary of available coverages. Actual policy language will dictate the scope of coverage in the event of a claim. We encourage policyholders and their agents to read the full policy form and any applicable endorsements for full terms and conditions. This program carrier has an AM Best Rating of “A+” XV as of 10.9.20. AM Best ratings are under continual review and subject to change or affirmation. To confirm the current rating, please visit www.ambest.com.
All Risks Specialty, LLC (f/k/a All Risks, Ltd.) (hereafter “All Risks”), a subsidiary of Ryan Specialty Group, LLC (RSG), provides wholesale insurance brokerage and other services to agents and brokers. All Risks is a Maryland limited liability company based in Maryland. As a wholesale broker, All Risks does not solicit insurance from the public. Some products may only be available in certain states, and some products may only be available from surplus lines insurers. In California: All Risks of California Insurance Services, Ltd. License # 0B84526. © 2020 Ryan Specialty Group, LLC